I recently hosted a baby shower for my cousin and I found dipped treats the best way to fill up the desserts table quickly but nicely. I bought strawberries, pretzel sticks and large marshmallows to be dipped in chocolates and two differents brands of chocolates just to try which one tastes good.
1.Wilton Candy Melts - They are the cheapest melting chocolates I know if you use 50% off coupon. The original price was $2.99 and you can buy them from Michael's, Jo-Ann's and A.C. Moore. It's smooth but I think there was an aftertaste, like a baby's unflavored liquid medicine. But if you are concerned about the price, this is the best thing there is. They offer a lot of colors too - pink, red, brown, black and more. They have milk and white, I do not think they have dark/bittersweets.
2. Ghirardelli White Melting Chocolates - I have tried other Ghirardelli brands for baking before so I thought of trying this just to know how it taste. I bought this on sale for $2.98 and that was a fairly good price because I know they're made from quality ingredients. I was not wrong. The white chocolate tastes good. The texture is smooth. I like this better than the first one just because there's no aftertaste. I think they also have the milk chocolate flavor but I am not sure about the bittersweet ones.
Here are some tips:
* Both chocolates can be melted at 30-second interval in a microwave. I suggest that you open the microwave door everytime just to release the heat and then start again. I use at most 10 pieces and just add some more as needed. Do not try to heat it for more than 30 seconds especially if the power of your oven is high, because you will burn them. The taste will become bitter and it will turn dry.
* You can melt them in a double-broiler. Also, I have tried melting some before on a glass cookware and it worked just fine. I placed the chocolates before I even started turning on the stove in a low heat.
* You can try dipping the regular chocolate bars too, like Hershey's, if you know most of your guests will like it. Just cut it in cubes so it'll melt easily. Do not try to put the whole bar.
* Add sprinkles and edible pearl candies for presentation. Be creative!
For me, the easiest way is still the microwave. But whatever method you choose, try a few chocolate first to see how it works so there's not much waste.
I was not compensated in any way to do a review of the product/s or service/s mentioned above. Everything was based on my 100% honest opinion.